Subframe Repair This what the subframe looked like when I started. Looked like just the subframe had some rot...not too bad.
Subframe Repair This is the driver's side, the passenger side should look like this.
Subframe Repair After removing the rotten subframe back to good metal i discovered there was rot on the torque box under the subframe.
Subframe Repair Removed the rot back to good metal
Subframe Repair Bottom og the inner torque box.
Subframe Repair Welded in a patch for the torque box and filled the spot weld holes. Coated with 2 coats of weld through primer.
Subframe Repair This is a piece of 12 gauge galvanized steel plate and it will become the patch for the subframe.
Subframe Repair Marking out the cardboard template onto the plate.
Subframe Repair The remaines of the old subframe overlayed just to show how much was really gone.
Subframe Repair The new patch and the onld piece side by side.
Subframe Repair The first test fit is preety close but it will need a little tweeking before welding. Plus it's hard to hold the metal, position the patch, and take the picture too. It's a little out of focus.
Subframe Repair Then I fitted the 12 gauge patch I made and welded it in too. I didn't take a picture but I coated the back side of the patch with weld through primer too. Everything that can't be painted after assembly gets weld through primer. Also the flange had two spot welds to the torque box.
Subframe Repair The bottom of the subframe completely encloses the torque box. The subframe is spot welded to the torque box on the bottom too.
Subframe Repair Coated with red oxide to prevent rusting until I can have the whole car stripped and primed.
Subframe Repair Subframe repairs complete and coated with red oxide to prevent rusting until media blasting.
Subframe Repair Driver side one last time to compair...I think they are pretty darn close.