Painted Black Here are all the pieces for the front end, the subframe, and the rear axle. All the badly rusted large parts were sand blasted and then received a 3 coat paint system. Two coats of a moisture cured urethane (Master Series Rust Sealer silver) one coat of black (AG111 also by Master Series Coatings it's a two part urethane top coat).
Painted Black This is the front subframe. After sand blasting the body mount holes were repaired. Then the subframe received two coats of primer. And finally Today is was lightly scuffed, washed, and painted black.
Painted Black The rear axle was in good shape but was completely rusted. This was sand blasted and painted with the three part system also.
Painted Black This is the steering shaft. It appeared in good shape so I cleaned and painted it too.
Painted Black The sun was just coming up so there was a bit of glare on these parts. Yesterday they were in primer and now they are black.
Painted Black Upper and lower control arms and other parts all painted black. Just to note this paint system when dry is completely chemical proof, water proof, chip and scratch resistant. So it's very hard to remove once applied.
Painted Black The wheel wells both had a few small holes. The passenger side side wheel well had a hole under the battery where the tray meets the wheel well...no surprise there. The driver side has a few small holes (the size of a pen). Both were repaired then sand blasted and 3 coat paint system applied.
Painted Black The bottom of the radiator support had some damage and I repaired it before sand blasting and painting. It came out pretty good considering there was not much left to copy. It's the curved patch in the center just below the large opening.
Painted Black Driver side of the radiator support.
Painted Black The battery tray sits behind this side of the radiator support. There were a few pinhole and a broken bolt in the right welded nut. I repaired the holes and removed the bolt. I welded a nut to the piece of the bolt that was remaining and spun it right out with my impact wrench.
Painted Black I used 2x3's inside the subframe ends and tall saw horses so I could paint all sides of the frame at one time. The two part top coat has a pot life of 4 hours and cures faster in high humidity. So I though this would be a good way to get all sides safely.
Painted Black There are lots of nooks and crannies on a subframe. This took the longest to paint. I was on my second can of paint by now and I may have been sent one can of gloss black and one can of satin black because some parts are not as shiny as others. You can really see it in the next picture.
Painted Black I am starting to put everything inside now but I had to take one last look at the subframe with crossmember in place. It is really starting to come together now.